- Inframammary fold (IMF) incision - along the breast crease
- Periareolar incision - beneath the areola
- Transaxillary incision - within the armpit
- Transumbilical incision (TUBA) - through the navel
These incisions are in general use for placement of an implant for breast augmentation:
Prior to the use of fiber optic technology, breast augmentation was performed by making an incision under the breast, around nipple, or in the armpit. For technical reasons, many plastic surgeons did not use the endoscopic approaches. Fiber optic technology has revolutionized breast surgery. Now small incisions can be made in the underarm area and the implant placed more precisely. This always allows an implant to be placed with no scar on the breast. Each incision allows for flexibility in implant position.
At Ennis Plastic Surgery in Florida, breast augmentation with the "No Scar on the Breast" technique is our specialty. Make us your source for current, accurate information about breast implants. You can ask a doctorask a doctor online or ask a patientask a patient with actual experience with breast augmentation surgery.
To perform the inframammary incision, the surgeon places the incision under the breast and close to the inframammary fold. The implant is slid upward through the incision, and then centered behind the nipple.
The incision is located to secure proper placement of the implant, but also to reduce scar visibility. Scarring from properly located inframammary incisions should be easily hidden under a swimsuit top.
To perform the transaxillary incision, the incision is made in the natural folds of the armpit tissue and then a channel is created up to the breast. This procedure is sometimes performed with an endoscope, which is a small tube with a surgical light and camera embedded in the end, to provide visibility through the channel. The implant is inserted and moved through the channel, then positioned and centered behind the nipple. The biggest advantage with the transaxillary incision is that the scar is not on the breast.
The TUBA breast augmentation incision is made on the rim of the navel. A tunnel is then made under the skin through the subcutaneous fat layer. An endoscope can be used to create the tunnel and to provide visibility to the surgeon. An endoscope is a thin tube with a camera and surgical light embedded on the end. The tunnel reaches all the way behind the breast into the layer of loose tissue between the breast and pectoral muscles. After a pocket is created in the breast, the implant is inserted through the incision and moved up into the breast area. The implant is then centered behind the nipple. One advantage of the TUBA incision, like the transaxillary or "No Scar on the Breast" incision, is that there are no incisions or scars in the breast area.
To perform the periareolar incision, the plastic surgeon makes an incision at the edge of the areola. The goal of the incision is to place it in the transition area between the dark areola and surrounding breast skin where it can be hidden. After the incision, the plastic surgeon creates a pocket for the breast implant and then slides the implant through the incision into the breast pocket. Once inserted, the implant is then centered behind the nipple.
When selecting a site for the incision it important to consider the following:
- If you wear a 2-piece bathing suit, the IMF incision will be visible when you raise your arms and the bathing suit top rises slightly. This incision is also visible when the bathing suit top does not completely cover the inframammary fold area.
- The periarealor incision is only visible when topless. If, however, you form a poor scar or a hypertrophic scar, the scar would be in a highly undesirable position and visible through sheer or tight fitting clothing.
- The transaxillary and transumbilical incisions place the scar remotely; therefore, there will be no scar the breast. If a bad scar should form, it is in a well-hidden place. In the underarm area, everyone has a crease and the incision is well hidden in this crease. Rarely does anyone look under your arm.